Monday, March 7, 2011

Cloth Wipes

*Cloth wipe update 24/3/2011 - I was washing the wipes all together with the nappies, and I think the small amount of solution may have been leaving residue on the nappies, causing repelling. So I am stopping the cloth wipes for a little until I think of what to do.*

Well I seem to be dragging my feet on the nappy reviews... super lazy. I think it is because there is so much info to include, and I don't want to miss anything. It will be one of those things that once I do it, I'll think "why didn't I do that sooner".

So I have just been making up a fresh batch of cloth wipes so lets post about that :)

We are still using disposable wipes when out, and also at home for poos. There is no reason that we cannot use the cloth wipes for poo, we will be spraying the nappy anyway. Just need to DO IT. Disposable wipes are so expensive!
I tried a foaming wipes wash and did not like it. Needed lots of pumps to actually get enough to be effective, and even then it wasn't too spectacular. Some people prefer to use just dry cloths and apply the water or solution at the time, but so far I have found wet wipes to be much easier. The only problem is that you cannot have them sitting too long or they will grow bacteria.
At first I stored them in a normal disposable wipes container, until Isaac received a wipes warmer for a gift. This is a total luxury and not a necessity for those using cloth wipes. The only problem it poses, is that the moist warmth inside it, is the perfect breeding ground for hairies. So you need to change the wipes often. So if you do not use many, just don't fill it up so much. 2 days worth is a decent amount, and for me, I can fill it to the top and use this in 2 days, about 20 wipes.

I made my own wipes, with a cheap towel from KMart. I cut it into squares and over locked the edges. I have also made other colours that get used around the house and they are fantastic. You can use normal face washers, or buy cloth wipes from nappy stores.

Here is the wipes warmer almost full.



















I use Monkey Doodlez wipes cubes, there is a whole stack in the container so they will last a long time. Just dissolve them in boiling water.

















So we use the cloth wipes for a wee cleanup, or for the after poo is wiped cleanup. Then, as they are quite wet, use a dry cloth wipe afterwards and pat dry. Then just chuck them both into the nappy pail.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly think the cloth wipes are great and do s heaps better job then wet ones. The only wipes I have bought in the last three weeks were for the day care lady. I am very proud lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stack of terry and flannel squares waiting to be sewn together... I was shocked by how much terry towelling costs! Working out how to wet them will be the issue for me... you think they stay okay moist for a couple of days though? Maybe we could microwave them warm for a few seconds when it gets really chilly. I've also seen recipes for homemade wipe solutions based chamomile tea etc.

    ReplyDelete