Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Washing Routine



















I use a 42L bin as my nappy pail.



















I purchased my pail liner wetbags first, and found a bin that would hold them. I have three pail liner wetbags. One is in use, one is in the wash, and the other is on standby.




















If the nappy is only wet, it goes straight into the pail. Remembering to close any velcro with their laundry tabs. If it has poo on it, it goes into a bucket to take to the bathroom to rinse off into the toilet with the nappy sprayer. Then it goes into the pail. The bucket is good as it keeps anything from dripping on the way to and from the bathroom.
















Here is our nappy sprayer, all of the parts were bought from Bunnings for $40 and we followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpfj_SeG4ro





















We are still using disposable wipes to get the majority of poo off. Everything else is cleaned with a cloth wipe, including the final wipe after disposable is used.
Wipes warmer is nice in winter, but not necessary. It is extra work as the wipes will grow bacteria quicker so you have to change daily. I can fit 16 wet wipes in the warmer.
Otherwise just use any container to store wet wipes.
All of the cloth wipes go in the pail with the nappies. Disposables go in the little orange bag.


















I then take the whole wetbag out of the bin and take it to the laundry. This washing gets done every 1-2 days depending on when I can find the time, and what the weather is like. We have a frontloader machine so I have to push everything in as opposed to dropping it in. I just turn the bag inside out, into the machine then put the bag in too. I like to close the drawstring of the bag once it is in, otherwise it can get a nappy or two caught inside.
I then put the load on the 'towel' setting which is similar to a normal cotton wash, but uses a hotter temperature (60 degrees Celsius). I also select prewash, so it runs a rinse before the cycle starts. I use grovia tiny bubbles detergent. Any specific nappy detergent is fine, just use half of the recommended amount for top loader, and a quarter amount for front loader. If you use regular detergent, use a quarter of the recommended amount.
Do not use any fabric softener or other liquids such as cCnestan, Dettol wash, bi-carb etc.
IMPORTANT:
The most important part of nappy washing is to RINSE RINSE RINSE. Add the maximum amount of rinses at the end of the cycle. If your machine doesn't have the option, then do the rinse setting separately at the end. Mine does 5. If you do not rinse all of the detergent out of the nappies, you will get detergent build up. This will cause the nappies to smell as soon as they get used.


I then hang everything on the washing line if the weather is fine. Otherwise the nappies without PUL (prefolds and fitteds) go into the dryer, and everything else I hang up inside. If it is stained, I wait till they are dried then leave them on the dashboard of my car so they get the full UV, without the rain.

If you do happen to get detergent build up, then the best thing to do, is once the nappies are clean, keep them in the machine and do a hot wash with NO DETERGENT. NO ANYTHING. Just water. And keep adding rinses, until the water runs clear. If you see detergent bubbles in there. Keep rinsing.

2 comments:

  1. Love it Terri! YOu are so organised! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed here from Nappiness blog... this is a great, detailed response to how you care for your cloth nappies. I love how organised you are!

    ReplyDelete